- 10oz of Carapils Malt @ 20L (L stands for Lovibond which is a way of measuring color. The higher the number the darker the color.)
- 10oz of Crystal Malt @ 60L
- 8oz of Chocolate Malt @ 338L
- 2oz of Biscuit Malt @ 19.3L
- 7lbs of Light DME (Dry Malt Extract)
- .5oz of Warrior Hop Pellets @ 15.8 AA
- 1oz of Vanguard Hops @ 5.3 AA
- 8oz of Dark Brown Pure Cane Sugar
- One Vile of White Labs Edinburgh Ale Yeast WLP0028
- Bring six gallons of water to 150 ° Fahrenheit.
- Steep all grains in the water for 15 minutes maintaining a temperature of 150°.
- After the grain has been removed bring the water to a boil. Once at a boil, remove from heat and add all malt extract then bring back to a boil
- Once the wort is back to a boil set a timer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add the half ounce of Warrior Hops.
- Continue to boil wort for 50 minutes, then add all 8oz of Brown Sugar stirring until completely dissolved.
- Boil for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1oz of Vanguard, stir until a whirlpool is created. Then cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Cool Wort and pitch your yeast at it's required temperature.
A ridiculous amount of grain should make this bad boy a pretty complex brew. My gravity came in at 1.066 which I correctly read this time round. The recipe called for 1.07 so I was a bit off but .004 from the called for OG ain't bad. It should be about six weeks from now before I can slug back a pint of my hard work. Check the video below dudes!
In related news my ESB/IPA should be bottled tomorrow and then turbo conditioned! I will go into turbo conditioning more once I bottle. Until next time keep on voting Socialist!